The primary responsibility of the Director of Operations is to establish a vision for and lead, develop, and manage the division Operations Managers in the day to day functions to establish and maintain safe, efficient and effective processes in the flow of products throughout the company. The Director of Operations is responsible to assure growth, diversification and learning among all Operations team members.
THE DAY TO DAY:
- Oversee all operational activities of all distribution centers (DC) to manage and improve the flow of inventory in and out of the facility. Includes receiving, picking, packing, shipping, and others.
- Works in collaboration with the Director of Compliance & Transportation, who will be responsible for all commercial vehicles (tractors, trailers, Sprinter vans, etc).
- Has a solid line relationship to all Division Operations Managers along with a dotted line relationship for the Regional Managers.
- Ability to manage the total corporate operations to meet productivity and safety targets.
- Recruit, train, coach, develop, and lead all employees to encourage professional growth and great performance. Provide feedback to employees to foster open communication and support retention of great employees.
- Participate in the management of the DC budget and financials. Collaborate on staffing levels and productivity in order to achieve and maintain a cost-effective operation.
- Make recommendations to increase sales, decrease expenses and improve profitability.
- Coordinate and communicate with division managers as the reporting relationship to the Operations Managers is a dotted line.
- Provide coordination and support to other departments (customer service, sales, AP, etc) to ensure that the divisions are in compliance with company policy and are performing at high levels of process control and customer satisfaction.
- Review and modify all loss prevention policies and security guidelines and drive compliance within the operations teams.
- Support and drive operational changes and build a “learning” culture and one committed to the Lean journey.
- Set expectations and hold the operations team accountable for efficient and effective movement of inventory to ensure timely delivery and accurate inventory.
- Participate in the annual performance evaluation process with input and suggestions for improved performance, skills gaps and opportunities for training, attendance, participation in and recognition of safety, and others.
- Together with Human Resources, manage all employee relations issues from onset through to solutions and resolution.
- Promote a team environment and company’s core values in support of a healthy workplace where employees have every opportunity to grow, diversity and learn.
- Provide training for, oversee and maintain compliance with company’s safety procedures and OSHA guidelines. Participate in company’s annual Safety Summit. Ensure proper usage of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Assure all employees are trained in the use of all equipment.
- Prevent workplace incidents and injuries through training, safe work standards, a clean workplace free from debris and litter, and others. Participate in and/or oversee first reports of injury, investigations, assessing root causes, and implementing necessary improvements in support a safe work environment.
- Engage with other division DC’s, stores, customer service and others to assure solid communication and collaboration in the movement of inventory along the supply chain.
- Identify, address and providing solutions to logistical challenges and problems.
- Manage the company’s time and attendance system with regard to editing, auditing and approving non-exempt employees’ hours worked. Understands and complies with Department of Labor – Wage and Hour Division as communicated and managed by company Human Resources and Operations leadership team.
- Support the effective use of company ERP system (Microsoft Dynamics AX) and provide training and retraining to all operations staff.
- Technically oriented. Daily use of Microsoft Office including but not limited to Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- Warehousing – advanced WMS highly preferred including RF.
- Effective time management, organizational, motivating, and influencing skills.
- Ability to multi-task – we run a lean operation and this skill is essential.
- Great interpersonal skills – relationship building.
- Understanding of and ability to amass followership.
- Great listener; great communicator.
- Proven commitment to safety and wellness in the workplace.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to lift up to 70 lbs. and participate in manual activities – for training purposes and other.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5-10 years of management experience, preferably in a distribution environment.
- Experience in a paper and/or packaging environment is beneficial.
- Lean Management experience is beneficial.
Advanced skills preferred in order to calculate ratios, productivity metrics, perform monthly cost review analysis and perform annual budgeting.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by the Company employee in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individual must be able to both sit and speak for extended periods of time. Additional requirements include the ability to walk or navigate about, bend, stoop, squat, push, pull, see, hear, and listen in order to fully perform the functions of this position.
This position is based in our corporate office but from time to time work in a distribution facility may be required. The majority of the work is done within a DC or an adjacent office or cubical. The work environment is moderately noisy to noisy. Floors are generally concrete. Steel toed shoes are required when working in the warehouse. Temperature fluctuates based on seasonality.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
The Company complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act.